Sunday, June 26, 2011

Glacier National Park and East

I had planned to ride through Glacier National Park on the Going to the Sun Road (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going-to-the-Sun_Road).  Unfortunately, Logan Pass was still blocked.  On our rest day, we drove up the east side of the mountain as far as we were permitted, and then hiked 2.5 miles further.
 

Snow-melt water fall.


Snow melt river.

Poor spruce trees got covered with snow and then snapped off by the pough.

Just a little snow.

  



Ellen and the view down the mountain.

The ranger told me that, when the road opens, it is only open to bicycle traffic in the morning and evening, and that the road tends to be full of cars, so perhaps it was a good thing that it was closed. 

The next two riding days after Glacier have featured some excellent tailwinds.  I did 105 miles at 17.1 mph yesterday, and 110 miles at 18.2 mph today.  So far, I've ridden a total of 544 miles.  Our team has logged 1292 miles.

Today featured some rather rough roads--a 3 mile section of road construction.  I was amazed that this guy, who was fully loaded, was able to slog through the loose gravel.

Checking their gear after the road construction
Later, the route took us into an area with roads that had been washed out.  It was difficult to tell where we were supposed to go.  I wound up riding down some dirt roads for 4 miles or so.  In this area, cattle were free to roam across the road.  Thanks to Garmin GPS, and a ride from the chase vehicle, we were able to get back to paved road.


 








This really is Big Sky country.




Today was my 18th wedding anniversary, and the first one I've spent without my wife.  Krista is an amazing woman, wife and mother and I love her more than I can express.  She is staying home with our two girls Katie and Libby while I go on this adventure.  I thank her from the bottom of my heart.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary Dave! Let your wife know that we are just 5 minutes away so we can always help with the kids or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks cold in Glacier. You camping on ice pack? How are your bio measurements going? Keep safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Quoc, I'll pass that along.

    Tim - we camped toward the bottom of the mountain. It was cold at night, but not quite freezing. I was quite comfortable in my sleeping bag. Measurements are more sporadic than I had hoped. My new heart rate monitor is a Garmin Forerunner 305 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop

    ReplyDelete